Index to Historical Documents
regarding the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Thailand
Below are links to several documents of historical interest that were found in the possession of Robert Reed who served as a missionary in Thailand (1974-1976). In order to share these documents with other interested individuals the author has converted these documents to electronic form and made them available on the web.
Several of the documents were originally on legal size paper. These were converted to letter size paper during the process of scanning them into electronic form. Fonts and page layouts may have changed in this process, but the content remains intact.
These documents include
A History of the Bangkok Branch
of the church from 1961-1968. This is a history of the English speaking members prior to the arrival of missionaries in 1968. It also discusses the formation of the first Thai branch of the church in Bangkok in 1968.
The Dedicatory Prayer
offered by Elder Gordon B. Hinckley. In this prayer Elder Hinckley dedicates Thailand for the preaching of the gospel. The prayer was offered early on the morning of November 2, 1966 in Lumpini Park in Bangkok. This version of the prayer is a combination of several versions (a) the copy from Robert Reed, (b) a copy from Rex L. Dearden found in the first Elder's residence on Soi Klang, (c) the version used by President Larry R. White for the mission handbook (1991) and (d) the version in the book "The Church Encounters Asia" by Spencer J. Palmer.
The First Trip to the North
of Thailand [December 1968] by Elder Alan H. Hess. An account of the first trip by missionaries Elder Alan H. Hess and Larry R. White to the northern provinces of Thailand. Taken from the journal of Alan H. Hess.
The following is a list of documents containing portions of the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Thailand.
1. "The ORIENTOR", Gazette of The Southern Far East Mission, Volumes iii-iv, 1968-69
2. "ECHO ASIA", Southeast Asia Mission Magazine, 1970-73
3."The Beginnings in Thailand", Craig G. Christensen, ERA, March 1970, pg. 32
4. "The Early Missions to Burma end Siam", Dr. R. Lanier Britsch ERA, March 1970, pg. 35
5. "THE CHURCH ENCOUNTERS ASIA", Spencer J. Palmer, Deseret Book Co. 1970
6. "The Church in Thailand", Church News, October 23, 1971
7. The Bangkok Post, World, & Nation newspapers, as well as Thai language newspapers, July 1972. [Nakorn Sawan Incident]
10."The Church in Thailand is Small but Growing", Church News, March, 29, 1975.
11. "Thailand, Land of Living Waters", FRIEND, April 1975, pg. 32
12. "The Church in Thailand", FRIEND, April 1975, pg. 42
13. "Visiting Thailand", ENSIGN, April 1975, pg. 44
14. Annual Historical Reports to the Office of the Presiding Bishopric (PBO)
15. "Dedication of the Bangkok Chapel", Church News September 1974
16. "Friends in Thailand", FRIEND, May 1975